We practice a specialized form of chiropractic called Gonstead. This technique is based on the methods developed by Dr. Clarence Gonstead in his 55 years of practice in Mt. Horeb, WI. He had the largest clinic of his time and saw over 1.3 million patients from 6 continents. Dr. Gonstead saw patients with all types of health ailments and quite frequently, after taking his care, they had "miraculous" recoveries.
The Gonstead system prides itself on its specificity-that is detecting and correcting only the areas of the spine that are problematic-called subluxations. As Dr. Gonstead would say, "Find it, fix it and leave it alone!"
Gonstead doctors attain this specificity by utilizing 5 tools:
- By seeing the entire spine in a weight-bearing position, it is possible to best understand how one area affects another. These x-rays also show the effects of long standing problems, guiding the doctor to areas that need correction.
- By looking directly at the spine and overlying tissues, the Gonstead doctor is able to accumulate additional information as to where a problematic area is located.
- By feeling the spine in motion and at rest, additional information about the current state of the spine is gathered by the doctor. Swelling may be palpated at rest and fixation/ decreased motion of a spinal joint may be felt when the spine is moving.
- A heat detecting instrument is gently glided down the spine and up the neck of the patient showing the doctor where potential areas of nerve interference are occurring.
- Through experience and education, the doctor is able to take the patient's symptoms and the examination findings and choose only those areas of the spine most in need of an adjustment. This maximizes the benefit of the care given, as experience shows us that over-adjusting the spine does not yield the best results.
The Gonstead system of chiropractic yields tremendous results due to its thorough analysis. We invite you to "Experience the Difference!"